By David Li, bostonese.com
Lexington, Mass, March 6, 2013 — Today marks the first anniversary of the official launch of bostonese.com on March 6, 2012. With over 900 news reports, feature stories and interviews published online, bostonese.com has covered a wide range of issues and events in both Chinese and English. One of the goals of bostonese.com is to bridge the Chinese American communities in Greater Boston with other communities through firsthand bilingual reports.
|Thanks to your help and many contributors, bostonese.com is well on its way to fulfill this goal. Some of the best reports over past year can be found at bostonese.com/best. The following is the first story published on bostonese.com about Weidong Wang’s campaign. On Super Tuesday, Weidong Wang becomes the first town-wide Chinese American candidate in Lexington
Having worked in this town for many years, I have a deep appreciation to the long and prestigious history of Lexington, and the spirit, talent and diversity of its residents. It’s really an honor getting to know many new friends over past year at various events, including the year-long celebration of the 300th Anniversary of town of Lexington, started in September 2013.
|In the morning of Sunday, March 3, dozens of Lexington residents gathered on the steps of Cary Hall for a group picture. There was light snow falling, but everyone was in good spirit. My son was taking a Chinese lesson at Lexington Youth Center for Asian Learning at 240 Bedford street, and I was more than happy to take a few pictures with people holding the brand new LexCelebrate! Incorporation Weekend banners. According to Tanya Morrisett, one of the organizers of the group picture, this event was not scheduled until the day before, and was promoted through email and social media. Despite of the light snow, there were still close to 80 people showed up, including Lexington 300 and CAAL volunteers Sophia Ho, Peter Lee, Wenjie Cheng, Hongbin Luo, Melanie Lin and etc.
There are still many Lexington 300 events coming up. The following is a nice summary by Cheryl Meadow.
Lexington’s Anniversary Is for All Ages – Family-Friendly LexCelebrate!
Calling all Lexington families! Are you eager to get out and spend the weekend with your friends and neighbors at a huge, free, family-friendly event right here in Lexington? Then mark your calendar for LexCelebrate! Incorporation Weekend on March 16th & 17th, mostly at Lexington High School.
Imagine a “first night” experience with sports, arts, and music (not to mention food!) for both children and adults. At LexCelebrate!, you can:
Sat. 3/16 – Evening Event
– Come to the Dance Around the World to learn ethnic community dance and watch performances by dance troupes in and around Lexington. Lexington High School students will be leading us in the latest international pop dances and a DJ will lay down beats beyond belief. There will be plenty of great food, too, as well as cultural booths created by members of our community.
Sat.3/16 & Sun. 3/17 – Daytime Events
– Get up and moving in the field house: old-fashioned games, ping pong, ultimate Frisbee, yoga, karate, Chinese yo-yos – and more!
– Meet comic book author Bentley Boyd – reserve a seat at a workshop with him or stop by the Authors’ Corner and chat
– Learn to play the fife or visit the instrument petting zoo
– Come learn from artisans at workshop and demos – from basketry to animation, to painting and wood-turning. There’ll be a community art project to which all can contribute, as well as a brand new, one-day scavenger hunt.
– Try a video production workshop or check out the display of advanced military technology designed here in Lexington
– Take your place in Massachusetts history! Grab your photo memories and stop by the Mass. Memories Roadshow
– Present your poetry at an open mike afternoon led by Lexington spoken word artist Regie O’Hare Gibson and stop by the Dance Inn’s open rehearsal with the Legacy Dancers
– Tri some Centennial Tastes at the Tri Centennial Tastes Café with delicacies from Lexington restaurants
Create! Play! Dine! Dance!
There’s more afoot than we can list here. You won’t want to miss anything, so explore the LexCelebrate! Incorporation Weekend programs at the 300th
Anniversary Celebration website: www.lexington300.org
and plan your weekend!
300th Anniversary Committee