Piano Tuning

Welcome Home / 家页 Forums 服务推介 Piano Tuning

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    LoveSmith
    Keymaster

My daughter’s piano teacher recommends a very reputable technician for piano tuning.

Here is his info..

Wu Liucun
    Phone#: 508-870-1760

Please call:
    Mr. Larry Buck
    Custom Piano Service
    171 Lincoln St.
    Lowell, MA 01852
    (978) 458-8688
    http://www.ejbuckpiano.com
    He did good jobs on tuning our Grand piano…..
    – Tom
    Sorry to reply to the entire group. I usually reply emails to individuals but since Acton has many piano players so I thought this will benefit more people who might be interested down the road. This reply was given last time someone asked about piano tuning and I have also added my experience with Dampp Chaser and�some tips�at the end 🙂

It really depends what you need. If your piano is in good shape (however, that is very hard to tell by a lay person), I can recommend Tim Costa (978-256-2357). His price is reasonable (I think $95). We have him tune our piano on a regular basis. I think he does a good job tuning (& minor repairs too, mainly lubricating the hinges). However, if you need more serious stuff, you should find one who belongs to Piano Technicians Guild. I have used Acton-Concord Piano (the lady’s name is Liz and she works with her husband). She has voiced my piano and filed hammers and raised hammer lines. I have to say the sound of the piano before and after is quite different. My son really appreciated the fix. She also re pin the flanges, which is a major work and have to take apart the piano and ship part of the piano to her shop.

A while ago someone recommended the following person “I had been using Lance Levine’s service for about 5 years. He’s responsive and got great attention to the details. Very satisfied. http://www.moonrisepiano.com/”
    He is also part of PTG. He seems to charge less than Acton-Concord Piano. We have since hired him to install a Dampp Chaser (he is the least expensive one when I checked around) and tune once after the Dampp Chaser was installed.

If you choose to have someone less expensive but not member of PTG tune, I think it is fine. I would recommend you have one of these PTG tune your piano maybe every 3 or 4 times, depending on how often you tune. We tune whenever the piano is out of tune so much that it bothers my son (usually less than 6 months before Dampp Chaser was installed) and we have used Acton-Concord every other tune now, especially if you find something not quite right.

On Dampp Chaser: We had it installed around April 2011. My son has not feel the need to have the piano tuned yet. So it is working really well for us. It cost less than $500 if I remember correctly and that could mean that it will pay itself back in 5 years.

On a separate note (if you read to here, that means you really care about your child’s music learning), please tune your piano regularly if you ever plan to have your child learn an instrument that relies heavily on ear (like violin). You also will need to tune your piano to concert pitch and it might require more than one tuning session if your piano is very out of tune. Chinese kids can have perfect pitch a lot easier than American kids because Chinese is a tonal language so having a concert pitch piano will help.

If you are able to, move the piano away from windows and heat/cold source (like AC vents etc) and put it against an inside wall. That will help your piano stay in tune.

Marina

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.