How to Apply Chinese Visa for Children of Chinese Citizens born in the US

(from )

If one or two of his/her parents are foreign citizens or have foreign permanent residence right (e.g. U.S. permanent resident card), the child shall apply for a Chinese visa before travelling to China.

If both of his/her parents are Chinese citizens and have no foreign permanent residence right (e.g. U.S. permanent resident card), the child shall apply for a Chinese travel document before travelling to China (Please read Application Requirements for Chinese Travel Document.)

1. Document Required

1) First-Time Applicants for Chinese Visa

A. Passport – Applicant’s passport must be valid for at least another 6 months with at least one blank visa page. Please also bring a photocopy of your passport’s information/photo page.

B. Visa Application Form – You must submit a fully, truthfully completed and duly signed Visa Application Form of the People’s Republic of China(V2011A). The parent of a minor child may fill out and sign the form on behalf of the child.

C. Photo – Please affix one color photo on the application form. The photo should be recent, front view, in 48mm x33mm size without head covering.

D. Proof of parents’ visa/Residency Status – The original and a photocopy (of the photo/information page) of passports of both of the child’s parents, proof of permanent residency of both parents (e.g. U.S. permanent resident card).

E. The child’s birth certificate – The original and a photocopy of the child’s birth certificate.

F. Additional documents if deemed necessary by visa officers.

2) Non-First-Time Applicants for Chinese Visa

A. Previous Chinese visa – A photocopy of previous Chinese visa.

B. Other materials required – If a child who was granted Chinese visa before (with Chinese visa record on his/her passport) makes a new application, it’s not required to submit the child’s birth certificate, passports of his/her parents or proof of foreign permanent residency ( e.g. U.S. Permanent resident card).

2. How to Apply

1) One or both of the child applicant’s parents may submit the application in person, or entrust someone else to submit to the Chinese Embassy or Consulate General which holds consular jurisdiction over the state in which the child resides. Under usual circumstances, the child does not need to be present for the application. The visa application form signed by one or both of the parents is required.

2) No appointment is required.

3) Mailed applications are not accepted.

3. Processing Time

1) Regular service: Visas can be obtained on the fourth business days.

2) Express service: Visas can be obtained on the second or third business day (approval required).

4. Visa Fees and Payment

1) Visa fees for regular service

Number of Entry

U.S. Citizens

Citizens of Third Countries

Single Entry



Double Entries



Multiple Entries for 6 Months



Multiple Entries for 12 Months or more



Note: Visa fees for certain third countries may vary from the list above based on reciprocal agreements.

2) Express service: An additional fee of $20 per person will be charged.

3) Please pay by money order, cashier’s check, or Credit Card (Visa or Mastercard only). Cash or personal/company check is not accepted. Please make checks or money order payable to “Chinese Consulate”.

5. Other Important Information

1) A parent of the child may fill out and sign the application form on behalf of the child applicant (please read section 6 on the visa application form). Please fill out the visa application form truthfully, completely and clearly. Any false or incomplete statement or failure to write in a clear way may delay the processing of a visa application or result in the refusal of a visa.

2) The applicant may apply for a single-entry or double-entry visa, or multiple-entry visa valid for 6 months, 12 months or 24 months. The duration of each stay is normally 30 days, up to a maximum of 180 days. If one intends to stay in China longer than the duration of stay allowed on the visa, an application should be made to the local public security authorities (the application may or may not be approved).

3)Visa officials are entitled to make decisions on the visa application on a case-by-case basis.

4) The Chinese Embassy reserve the right of interpretation in case of changes to the information above.