Established in 1931 as a prominent national university at Tainan city of Taiwan, NCKU has been ranked #22 for Engineering subject (U.S.News-Education) and #51–100 for Engineering-Mechanical subject (QS) in global universities.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering at NCKU invites applications for several tenure-track faculty positions (assistant, associate, or full professor). Appointments are to commence on February 1, 2017, subject to budgetary approval.
Applications are welcome from individuals with research experience in the following areas of mechanical engineering:
- solid mechanics and related emerging areas, including but not limited to: elasticity and plasticity, structural dynamics, fatigue and fracture mechanics, composite materials, stress waves in solids, computational mechanics, experimental mechanics, micro/nano-or multi-scaled mechanics, photo mechanics, opto-mechatronics, piezoelectric mechanics, MEMS and nano-technology, actuators and sensing technology;
- novel manufacturing technologies and material sciences, and related emerging areas, including but not limited to: advanced manufacturing and materials technology, mechanical testing and analysis, manufacturing and materials design and analysis.
Ideas and experience in innovative teaching will be an asset, while a strong research track record commensurate with the rank of appointment is essential. The successful candidates will be required to teach and supervise students at both undergraduate and graduate levels, establish a strong, externally-funded research program, assist in the administrative tasks of the department and the university, and in due course.
The successful candidate must have a PhD in Mechanical Engineering or a closely-related field. Candidates will have a demonstrated track record of technical, academic (excellence, or promise of excellence, in teaching and scholarly research) and professional achievement appropriate to the level of their appointment. Eligible successful applicants will be assisted in the application for a generous bonus award offered by Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan.
If interested, a complete application should include:
- A cover letter clearly indicating the rank for which the candidate wishes to be considered;
- A detailed curriculum vita highlighting career achievements, areas of research, teaching experience, list of publications and awards/honors, as well as research grants and students supervised (the last two items are especially important for the Associate or Full Professor position);
- Three reference letters (or sent by referee via regular mail or e-mail in PDF format);
- A copy of doctoral degree certificate, or a letter stating the expected graduation date with the signature of the applicant’s thesis advisor;
- Transcripts or academic records of both undergraduate and graduate studies (optional for applicants of Associate or Full professor position);
- A statement of teaching interests with course outlines;
- A statement of research plans detailing the intended projects to be pursued, envisioned resources, and external funding ideas to allow executing the research plans (maximum 3 pages).
Complete applications must be received by May 31, 2016 by regular mail at the address listed below.
Prof. C. J. Ho
Department of Mechanical Engineering
National Cheng Kung University
Tainan, Taiwan 70101, R.O.C.
The aforementioned application materials (except reference letters) also should be sent in PDF format by e-mail to Prof. C. J.Ho, Chairman of the Search Committee (E-mail: [email protected]).