A Journey into Circus Past–Annual Engagement at Boston City Hall Plaza
March 26th – May 12th, 2013
Welcome to the Big Apple Circus LEGENDARIUM, where you will experience the nostalgic thrills of bygone Big Tops and get a first–hand view of Beauties, Daredevils, and Clowns from another era! At our All-New 35th Anniversary season production, no seat is more than 50 feet from the Globe’s Most Spectacular Circus Performers! The Big Apple Circus presents LEGENDARIUM in its annual Boston engagement at City Hall Plaza from Tuesday, March 26 through Sunday, May 12, 2013.
||Travel back to when circus traditions were born and witness incredible acts that would have had the villagers chattering for days! The courageous mid-air flips and catches of a man on the trapeze! A captivating contortionist whose flexibility is as impressive as her steadfast poise! An agile, adept acrobat and her strapping suitors! A swaying wire act of sure-footed strength and stability! The dizzying delights of a daring inventor in his tumbling, twirling hoop! The stunning, soaring beauty of a pair on aerial straps and a woman held aloft by hanging silks! A jaw-dropping juggling tango team performing to passionate rhythms! Bicyclists whose spinning wheels turn smooth and speedy stunts! Majestic horses with graceful gaits and playful pups with teasing tricks! And what circus would be complete without bumbling clowns who bring the spirit of timeless comedy?! It’s all led by an affable Ringmaster and the great Big Apple Circus Band playing the iconic songs of yesteryear! So run away with the Big Apple Circus and relive Big Tops of old in a memorable one-ring show for the ages!|
Performers from around the world create joyful memories at the Big Apple Circus under the artistic direction of Guillaume Dufresnoy for the 2012–13 season show:
- From the US,the Acrobuffos, the husband-and-wife clown team, bring gales of laughter to the Big Apple Circus with their slapstick comedy!
- From Bulgaria, Andrey Mantchev takes to the skies in a solo trapeze act of mid-air flips and jaw-dropping catches!
- From China, the all-female Dalian Acrobatic Troupe performs perilous poses of superior synchronization on bicycles!
- From Canada, Daniel Cyr spirals and spins around the ring in a steel hoop of his own invention!
- From Russia, breathtaking duo Desire of Flight (Valeriy Sychev and Malvina Abakarova) defies gravity in soaring stunts on aerial straps!
- From Russia, Katerina is a lithe vision of grace wrapped and whirling in aerial silks!
- From Argentina, Elayne Kramer astounds with a backbone as flexible as an archer’s bow!
- From France and the Netherlands, Emily and Menno van Dyke combine the dramatic passion of tango with rhythmic juggling for a dance of flawless coordination!
- From the US, Jenny Vidbel exudes pure pride with her handsome horses, prancing ponies, and perky pups!
- From the US, John Kennedy Kane is a debonair ringmaster guiding you through the world of the circus!
- From Hungary, the Quinterion Troupe demonstrates unparalleled power as sculpted men flip, throw, and catch a fearless maiden!
- From China, Zhang Fan faces the ultimate test of balance, performing stunts of sheer strength on a swaying slack wire!
In his Big Apple Circus directing début is West Hyler who, along with Matt Williams as assistant director, presents an unforgettable show for all ages. John Lee Beatty, member of the Theater Hall of Fame, brings nearly four decades of New York experience as set designer. With a career spanning theatre, film, resorts, and dance, Mirena Rada returns with her stunning costume designs. Tony Award-winner Howell Binkley brings extensive experience and expertise as lighting designer. Five-time winner of the MAC Award for Technical Direction, JP Perreaux returns to the circus as sound designer. As always, the Big Apple Circus Band enthralls under the musical direction of maestro Rob Slowik.
||Ticket Information LEGENDARIUM begins its Boston season on Tuesday, March 26 and runs through Sunday, May 12, 2013, under the Big Top at Boston City Hall Plaza (Government Center). Tickets for LEGENDARIUM start at $20 and are available at bigapplecircus.org or by calling (888) 541-3750. Premium seating at $100 is available for all Saturday, Sunday, Patriots’ Week, and Good Friday shows. The Circus Box Office on City Hall Plaza will open on Monday, March 25, with hours as follows — Saturday, Sunday, and Monday from 10am to 6pm and Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday from 10am to 8pm. There is no service charge for tickets purchased at the Box Office. For groups of 15 people or more, or for inquiries about wheelchair–accessible seating, or for any additional information please call the Ticket Info Line at (800) 922-3772.|
The Big Top is heated in cold weather, and air-conditioned when it’s warm, for all–season comfort! The show runs for 2 hours, including a 15 minute intermission.
Big Apple Circus
For 35 years the Big Apple Circus, New York’s original one-ring circus, has been delighting audiences of all ages under its Big Top by presenting the finest in live family entertainment featuring world-class circus artistry. Experience the instant connection between audience and artist as your family sits less than 50 feet from the ring. The Big Apple Circus is a not-for-profit performing arts and outreach institution committed to invigorating the communities we serve with the joy and wonder of classical circus. Tax-deductible contributions made by corporations, foundations and individuals enable the Big Apple Circus to bring its special magic to diverse audiences through its outreach programs — Clown Care[SM], Vaudeville Caravan[SM], Circus After School[SM], Circus For All!® and Circus of the Senses® — as well as its critically acclaimed performances.
For Membership, Private Performances and more information, please visit our website at www.BigAppleCircus.org