By Victor Chen, bostonese.com
Boston, Feb, 23, 2015, — The high temperature reached above freezing point yesterday afternoon across much of the state. Many residents took the opportunity to remove snow and ice dam from their roofs.
Could this stop sign in a snow bank at a residential community west of Boston put a stop of the snow? (file photo).
Over past four weeks, over 90 inches of snowfall in many regions of the state. This has broken previous records, and put a lot of stress on roofs and backs of people who tried to dig out from the mountains of snow.
The high temperature was 36 Fahrenheit yesterday in Boston. But for many MA residents, it felt like a warm Spring day after the deep freeze and two blizzards over past few weeks. However, the temperature took a nose dive today. This evening, it’s going to be a cold and windy night with wind chill reading at as low as -20 Fahrenheit.
The National Weather Service has issued the following Wind Chill Advisory for southern New England.
WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 10 AM EST TUESDAY... * LOCATIONS...INCLUDE NORTHERN CONNECTICUT...NORTHERN AND WESTERN RHODE ISLAND AND MUCH OF MASSACHUSETTS. THIS INCLUDES THE GREATER HARTFORD...SPRINGFIELD...WORCESTER...BOSTON...AND PROVIDENCE METRO-AREAS. * HAZARD TYPES...DANGEROUS WIND CHILLS. * WIND CHILL READINGS...AS LOW AS 20 BELOW. * TIMING...6 PM MONDAY TO 10 AM TUESDAY. * IMPACTS...DANGEROUSLY COLD CONDITIONS. FROSTBITE CAN DEVELOP IN JUST 30 MINUTES WITH A WIND CHILL INDEX OF 20-BELOW. * WINDS...WEST-NORTHWEST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS AROUND 25 MPH. * LOW TEMPERATURES...AROUND 5 TO 15 DEGREES BELOW-ZERO TUESDAY MORNING.
The following is seven-day forecast by National Weather Service
- Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 21. Wind chill values as low as -2. Northwest wind around 16 mph.
- Tonight Mostly clear, with a low around -1. Wind chill values as low as -16. Northwest wind 8 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph.
- Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 16. Wind chill values as low as -13. West wind 6 to 11 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
- Tuesday NightA chance of snow showers, mainly between 1am and 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15. South wind 7 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
- Wednesday: A slight chance of snow showers before 9am. Partly sunny, with a high near 31. West wind 7 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Wednesday NightMostly clear, with a low around 9.
- Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 20.
- Thursday NightPartly cloudy, with a low around 6.
- Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 22.
- Friday: NightMostly clear, with a low around 8.
- Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 27.
- Saturday NightPartly cloudy, with a low around 15.
- Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 34.